Elisabeth Frink RA

Elisabeth Frink 1930-1993
Sculptor, draughtsman and teacher. Studied at Guildford School of Art, 1947-9, and Chelsea School of Art, 1949-53, under William Soukop and Bernard Meadows. She taught at Chelsea School of Art from 1951 to 1961, St Martin's School of Art, 1954-62, and at the Royal College of Art from 1965 to 1967. After early exhibiting with the London Group, Frink had a one-man show at St George's Gallery in 1955 and four years later at Bertha Shaefer Gallery, New York.
Over the years she established herself as a sculptor concerned with themes, such as goggle men, running men and horses with and without riders. She worked on many major public commissions, such as Wild Boar for Harlow New Town; Blind Beggar and Dog, at Bethnal Green and a noble horse and rider for Piccadilly, London. The predatory and the vulnerable are both important aspects of Frink's work.
She was elected RA in 1977 and five years later became Dame Elisabeth Frink. Made a Companion of Honour in 1992.
Exhibited extensively internationally, with work in major collections including the Tate Gallery and Arts Council.
While fighting cancer, Frink struggled to complete her last commission, a monumental but unusual figure of Christ for the front of the Anglican cathedral in Liverpool, unveiled a week before her death in Woolland, Dorset. There was a memorial show at Yorkshire Sculpture Park, Bretton Hall, 1994.


# Modern British Artists